The Better Sleep Council is a non-profit organization devoted to educating the public about the importance of sleep to good health and about the value of the sleep system and sleep environment in pursuit of a good night's sleep. Following is their list of 10 Tips To Better Sleep.
1. We all have too much to do, so take time out and recharge yourself by getting a good night's sleep. The quality and quantity of your sleep can make all the difference in how productive you'll be the next day.
2. Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including weekends.
3. Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine such as soaking in a hot bath or hot tub and then reading a book or listening to soothing music.
4. Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
5. Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
6. Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
7. Exercise regularly. It is best to complete your workout at least a few hours before bedtime.
8. Avoid nicotine (e.g., cigarettes, tobacco products). Used close to bedtime, it can lead to poor sleep.
9. Avoid caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate) close to bedtime. It can keep you awake.
10. Avoid alcohol close to bedtime. It can lead to disrupted sleep later in the night.